This will be a series! Unless I get distracted! Hopefully, doing this as a series will help me remember all the things I’m working on. And maybe you’ll find it interesting. Whatever.
Some of these projects will be on the table for a loooong time, so hold onto your hopefully fabulous vintage hats and get ready for this.
These are the projects I have going on right now:
- A comic that I started in March. Drawing is hard! I only did 2.5 pages before it got buried under a pile of papers and guilt. But I intend to continue working on it someday.
- Tablet weaving book. I draft a lot of tablet weaving patterns, and apparently other people can’t, and they’ve asked me to publish them. Now I’m nearly at a point where I should send it off to my friend/editor (Dame Toadstool!) for a second draft reading. I think there are a few more words I need to put in there.
- From my mending pile, I have a medieval chemise.
This one has a sordid history of being messed up. It’s one of the first medieval pieces I made, in order to check one of the first rectilinear patterns I drafted. When I finished it, I decided it was good enough to keep. But, since it was supposed to be a mockup, I didn’t finish the seams on the inside or preshrink the fabric. So basically, it shrunk and frayed a lot over the next few years.
I cut it apart, removing the frayed seams, and sewed it together again. That made it smaller so it actually fit me, but because of how the pieces shrunk, the hem was all uneven, and it wasn’t long enough. All of that is past mending. This time, I cut the hem to be even, added more fabric to the hem to lengthen it, shortened the sleeves, and changed the neckline. That fixed the structural problems. I may change the neckline again, though. Then I decided to make it fancy and more medieval looking.
I handsewed the new hem on the sleeves with linen/silk yarn. Then I got crazy and decided to do a chainstitch with the same yarn, along bottom hem. So that’s what I’m doing now.
- Fixing a vintage dress. I’ll probably give this its own post, so here’s a teaser photo.
- A script. I’m so close to finishing it.
I’ve told myself that same thing, dozens of times over the last (embarrassingly) at least 10 years, but this time, the script is the least sucky it’s ever been! I mean when you write the first draft in junior high school, the only way to go is up, right? Seriously though, I think I’m almost done. Just need to resist the urge to keep revising. I need to finish this damn thing.
- Current tablet weaving project. Made of wool. It’s about 1″ wide, and will probably end up around 120″ long. I’m going to sell it. Which is an optimistic way of saying: I’m going to put it up for sale, and maybe it will sell.
Now, dear readers, it is your turn to tell us what you are working on.